We kicked off our journey in the Championship Cup in January when we were drawn up against Imperial FC in the quarter-finals stage of the competition.
With the first leg played away and the return fixture held about a week later at our home ground at the Agege Stadium.
Qualification to the semi-finals saw us got paired with Valiant FC who we saw through getting to the finals of the League Cup with the two legs played in April.

QUARTER FINAL 1st Leg (0-1 Vs Imperial FC).

We headed Ogun State at the Remo Stadium, Ikenne to begin our campaign, and finished the game with an away goal advantage.
Fagbayi Semiu came up with a goal two minutes into the second half after a very tight first half. In the 47th min, the forward rounded the goalkeeper and slotted in our lead away.
In the 86th min, Fagbayi Semiu came close to double our lead when his attempt was cleared off the line.
The game ended in a 1-0 victory for the Blues as we managed to hold on to the away goal lead.

QUARTER-FINAL 2nd Leg (1-1 Vs Imperial FC).

Imperial came off in the second leg looking to cancel the away goal deficit and to get one of theirs but that wasn’t the case as we were able to defend our one-goal advantage at full time.
The visitors pounced on a set-piece play to go one goal up just as we passed the halfway point when they took the lead in the 38th min. This brought us back to 1-1 on aggregate.
Just before the halftime break, Fagbayi Semiu made sure to put us back on level terms with a fine and well-composed finish in the 42nd min, as he completed a double over visitors in both ties of the competition.
We progressed to the semi-finals at the end of the tie with a 2-1 win on aggregate.

SEMI-FINAL 1st Leg (0-2 Vs Valiant FC).

Eya Solomon gets us ahead early into the game when he heads into the back of the net with a cross whipped in from right-full back Onashokun Yinusa which beats the Valiant’s defence line to give us a vital lead away into the 6th min of play.
Our lead was further strengthened when substitute Alasiri Tomisin scored in the 76th min to double our lead with a sublime left-footed finish.
With 78th min on the clock, a Valiant player received a second yellow card which got him sent off as they trail two goals and a man down while we approach the final stages of the game.
We ended the game with a 2-0 win as we go back with a two-goal advantage into the 2nd leg to be played at home.

SEMI-FINAL 2nd Leg (1-1 Vs Valiant FC).

Coming into the tie with a superior two-goal lead we added a third when a Fagbayi Semiu’s cross from the left flank was turned into the back of the net by the Valiant’s defender for an own goal in the 16th min.
Edema Peter went close in two separate situations to double our lead but his efforts went off a little wide off-target.
Valiant got one back through a penalty kick well converted to get us levelled in the 53rd min.
The Blues held on to finish the game with a man down when Olawoyin Wasiu came off through an injury in the 78th min and substitution couldn’t be made.
It ended with a 3-1 win on aggregate for the Blues as we qualified into the finals of the Championship Cup.


Fagbayi Semiu (2)
Eya Solomon
Alasiri Tomisin


We’ll face Remo Stars for the finals on Sunday, 9th May at the Agege Stadium for a 4 pm kickoff.


Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on email
Shopping Basket